Football...

I'm a football coach of a great football team, full of great football players that want to play football on the football field.

Wednesday, November 19, 2014

It's Just a Game. Let's Never Forget That.

Perspective. 

It comes to many of us in unexpected ways. I got a heavy dose of it last week when my starting running back went down with a torn ACL. I'll admit I was saddened for my team, myself, and, most importantly, for him. 

I was wringing my hands, trying to figure out how we were going to play with our rookie backup. Nothing against our guy, but, I was throwing up in the locker room toilet, sweating like a rhino and farting blood at the prospect of using our inexperienced back. Doomsday! 

At that low point, I pulled myself together enough to turn on the TV in my office. 

I saw a news story about a young man who lost his arm in an accident of some sort. It was heartbreaking! 

This kid was driving, or something, and somebody, like his friend, had a few drinks..and, then, either he...or the driver..slammed the car into something or other, causing injuries...and he was talking about how he didn't have an arm, but, he still had a good attitude because he didn't die. Come to think of it, it might have been the other way around - that his FRIEND lost HIS arm because THAT GUY was driving and HE had a good attitude and....well...

...the point is...it's just a game. 

Perspective. I got it loud and clear. 

If this kid (or his friend) can have a good attitude after losing an ARM, then, why can't I pick up the pieces and turn this into a learning, growing, positive experience for this football team?

Ya know, now that I think some more, it might have been his dad's leg. 

On Jackals!
Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment